- Universities can accept only 18% of matrics, these being the top performers in the country
- Of these, 50% – 60% drop out in the first year
- Lack of preparation in schools is to blame
- Universities may have to offer an extra year to do prepare students for higher education
What about Cambridge?
- Anecdotally, Cambridge schools report extremely high success rates, with one Principal recently reporting not one failure in higher education of any of his candidates in seven years.
- UCT has agreed to conduct a study on Cambridge entrants, charting their performance over 5 years. This will help us confirm that belief
- Cambridge learners continue to access universities globally, with the essential skills for higher education